- CUSIP/ISIN codes for securities can be hard to find. Fairly comprehensive July 2023 lists for US equities, Canadian equities, Canadian bonds, and Canadian real return bonds are available as csv files. Source: Blackrock ETF holdings lists. (2023-07-29)
- I never recommend active management. Until today. Read about my experience with James Hymas as an active manager. (2011-04-15)
- Do you have a capital gains tax problem because the markets have been kind?
Consider sharing your good fortune with your favourite charity.
You may find that, having already done well, you can also do good and save yourself
a bundle in taxes. We also have an online calculator to estimate
the fraction of shares that should be donated to offset capital gains tax on the sale of the rest. (2008-08-11)
- Historical price indices are relatively easy to
come by but price is not terribly useful for investors. It is more
appropriate to use total return indices, which include interest and
dividend income on portfolio securities. Canadian data is closely
guarded by index providers and made available only at considerable
cost. Libra has compiled from public sources a digest of some common
total return indices for bonds and equities at month ends since 1969.
To avoid needless duplication of the collection work, we will consider
applications for a copy of the data from those who can demonstrate
a bona fide research or educational purpose. Libra does not warrant
the correctness of the numbers for indices other than its own.
- Now available for download is an OpenDocument
spreadsheet (right click to save) of a total return index for
Canadian real return bonds with month end values since first issue
- An OpenDocument
spreadsheet (right click to save) of annual returns, both nominal
and inflation adjusted, has been updated to include 2022 returns for
many investable asset classes. Do you see a pattern in those returns
that will help you decide what to invest in next year? If not, then
consider a diversified portfolio rather than gambling on picking next
year's winner. (This spreadsheet supersedes the tables first published in
2004 and the Excel spreadsheets in more recent years. Real returns
for the most recent year are provisional until December CPI is published.
- In the interest of making return data for various
asset classes available to the public at no charge, we make available
for download a monthly total return index for 3 month Canada T-bills
since 1947. OpenDocument spreadsheet.
- Because the coupon on a bond is fixed until maturity,
holders can see their real incomes decline severely when inflation
is high. RRBs protect the holder against this risk. Should
you prefer one over the other, or use a combination? (2004-08-09)